Excel is a super useful application where we can do our work efficiently. Some of the Excel shortcuts make our work life easier.
Do you know that in Excel, you can quickly fill the data in a cell by copying the value/formatting/formula from the cell on the left?
We call this the fill-right functionality in Excel.
In this short tutorial, I will teach you the keyboard shortcut to quickly fill data into the adjacent right-side cells in the row.
Shortcut to Fill Right in Excel
Below is the keyboard shortcut to fill right in Excel:
CTRL + R (for Windows)
⌘ + R (for Mac)
How to Use the Keyboard Shortcut
Below are the steps to use the above keyboard shortcut to fill right in Excel:
- Select the cell with the data and the adjacent cells you want to fill.
- Press R while holding down the CTRL key.
You can also select a range of cells, and then when you use this shortcut, it will fill all the selected cells by copying the cell on the left.
Important Things to Know
Below are some important things to know when using a shortcut to fill right in Excel:
- This shortcut will fill formulas, values, formatting, etc., to the right side.
- If you are filling a formula to the right side, check whether you have used the $ signs correctly inside the formula. If you have an absolute cell reference in the cell on the left, fill right will use exactly the same cell references for the fill right formulas.
- If you need to fill only the nearest adjacent right cell, you can just go to that cell and use the keyboard shortcut. Then, you don’t need to select the left side cell that contains data.
Other Excel shortcut articles you may also like:
- Excel Keyboard Shortcuts
- Copy and Paste in Excel
- Edit Cell in Excel
- Fill Color in Excel
- Merge or Unmerge Cells in Excel
Other Excel Tutorials You May Also Like: