Inserting a column is a common task for anyone working with data in Excel. And there are multiple ways you can add a column in Excel.
In this tutorial, I will give you the shortcut to inserting columns in Excel.
Shortcut to Insert Column in Excel
Below is the shortcut to add a column in Excel:
ALT + I + C (recommended)
Control + Shift + Plus
How to Use the Keyboard Shortcut to Insert Column in Excel
Below are the steps to use the above keyboard shortcut to add columns in Excel:
- Select a cell in the column to the left of which you want to insert a new column
- Use the keyboard shortcut ALT + I + C (press these keys one after the other)
When you use the keyboard shortcut, a new blank column will be inserted to the left of the column in which you selected the cell.
Note: The other shortcut I mentioned (Control + Shift + Plus) Would open the insert dialog box, where you would have to make a selection and then click on the OK button to insert a column. this is why I prefer using ALT + I + C shortcut to insert new columns, as it does it instantly
Pro Tip: If you want to insert two or three, or more columns in your dataset, select that many cells in a row and then use the above shortcut. it will insert the same number of columns as many columns you have selected
Important Things to Know About Add Columns in Excel:
- The new column would always be added to the left of the cell that is selected. This is the default setting and cannot be changed.
- You can also select cells in non-contiguous columns and then use the above shortcut would insert a column to the left of every selected cell. For example, if you select the cells B2 and D2 and use the above shortcut to insert a new column, a column will be added to the left of column B and the left of column D.
Alternate Ways to Insert Columns in Excel:
Another quick way to insert a new column in Excel is by using the right-click context menu.
Below are the steps to do this:
- Right-click on the cell to the left of which you want to insert a new column
- Click on the Insert option. This will open the insert dialog box
- Select the Entire Column option and click OK
Other Excel shortcuts you may also like:
- Excel Keyboard Shortcuts
- Delete Cell in Excel (Shortcut)
- Insert Cell in Excel (Shortcut)
- Insert Row in Excel (Shortcut)
Other Excel Tutorials You May Also Like: