Undo the last action and Redo (repeat) the last action is something that every Excel beginner should acquaint themselves with early on.
As you work with Excel, undo and redo is something you’ll probably have to do tens or even hundreds of times a day.
Undo is when you reverse the last action that you did in Excel, and redo is when you repeat the last action again.
By default, Excel has a memory to remember your past 100 actions that can be undone. But for Redo, you can only repeat the last action that you took.
In this tutorial, I will give you the keyboard shortcut to Undo and Redo in Excel.
Shortcut to Undo and Redo in Excel
Below is the keyboard shortcut to Undo in Excel:
Control + Z
Below is the keyboard shortcut to Redo in Excel:
How to Use the Keyboard Shortcut to Undo and Redo in Excel
Below are the steps to undo the last action in Excel:
- Hold the Control key
- Press the Z key
As I mentioned, you can undo multiple previous actions by continuing to use the above keyboard shortcut.
For example, if you hold the control key and press the Z key once, it will undo/reverse your last action only.
But if you continue to hold the control key and press the Z key twice, it would first undo your last action, and then the action before that as well.
Below are the steps to redo the last action in Excel:
- Select the cells/range/object on which you want to repeat the action
- Hit the F4 key
As I mentioned, excel would only remember the last action that you can continue to redo. Increase the function key is enabled on your keyboard, you will have to hold the function key and then press the F4 key to redo the last action.
Important Things to Know About Undo and Redo in Excel:
- While most of the things can be undone in Excel, there are some things that you cannot undo – such as deleting a sheet or any changes done using VBA macro
Alternate Ways to Undo and Redo in Excel
- You can access the Undo/Redo option in the ribbon. Go to the Home tab and you will see them in the Undo group.
- To redo in Excel, you can also use the alternate keyboard shortcut Control + Y
Other Excel shortcut articles you may also like:
- Excel Keyboard Shortcuts
- Switch Between Tabs/Worksheets in Excel
- Apply-Remove Filter In Excel (Shortcut)
- Wrap Text in Excel (Shortcut)
Other Excel Tutorials You May Also Like: