The infinity symbol (∞) is widely used in various fields, such as mathematics, physics, and philosophy.
It represents the concept of infinity, an unbounded quantity that is greater than any real number. In mathematics, it’s often used in calculus, number theory, and set theory to denote an endless process or quantity.
In this article, I will show you some simple ways to insert the Infinity symbol in Excel
Keyboard Shortcut to Insert Infinity Symbol in Excel
Below are the keyboard shortcuts to insert Infinity symbol in Excel:
On Windows in Excel:
Shortcut: Alt + 236
- Ensure Num Lock is on.
- Hold down the Alt key.
- Type 236 on the numeric keypad.
- Release the Alt key to insert the infinity symbol.
On Mac in Excel:
There is no direct keyboard shortcut for the infinity symbol in Excel for Mac. It is usually inserted using the Symbol dialog box or by copying from a character map or some other place/document.
Inserting Infinity using the Symbol Dialog Box
To insert the Infinity symbol in Excel using the Symbol Dialog Box, follow these steps:
- Click on the cell where you want to insert the symbol.
- Go to the Insert tab on the ribbon.
- Click on Symbol in the Symbols group.
- In the Symbol dialog box, select Mathematical Operators from the Subset dropdown.
- Locate and select the Infinity symbol (∞).
- Click Insert, then close the Symbol dialog box.
The above steps would insert the infinity symbol in the cell that we selected in step 1.
Inserting Infinity Symbol using Formula
You can use the below formula to insert the Infinity symbol in Excel using the UNICHAR formula:
Copy and Paste the Infinity Symbol into Excel
And finally, there is always an option to copy the infinity symbol from any website or document and paste it into a cell in Excel.
You can copy the infinity symbol from below:
Below is a table that summarizes all the methods to insert the Infinity symbol in Excel:
|Name of Symbol
|Shortcut for Windows
|Alt + 236
|Shortcut for Mac
|No direct shortcut; use the Symbol dialog box
|Inserting using Symbol Dialog Box
|Find ∞ in Mathematical Operators in Symbol dialog box
|Inserting using Formula
Other Excel articles you may also like:
- Insert Symbols in Excel
- Insert Copyright Symbol in Excel
- Insert Delta Symbol in Excel
- Insert Arrow Symbol (Up, Down, Left, Right) in Excel
- Insert Envelope / Mail Symbol in Excel
- Insert Square Root Symbol in Excel
- Insert Approximate Symbol in Excel
- Insert Alpha Symbol (α) in Excel
- How to Insert Average (X-Bar) Symbol in Excel?
- Insert Registered Trademark Symbol in Excel
- Sigma Symbol in Excel