When users make changes to an existing file, they may want the changes to be saved as a new file with the same name and format as the existing one.
For this, the user should save the file by choosing the “Save As” option, which gives the option of saving the file as a new or existing file with a new or existing name and format, and where to save it.
In this tutorial, I will give you the shortcut to open the Save As dialog box in Excel with a simple press of a key.
Shortcut to ‘Save As’ in Excel
Below is the keyboard shortcut to open the Save As dialog box in Excel
In case you have the function key enabled on your keyboard, you will have to use the below keyboard shortcut instead:
Fn + F12
How to Use the Shortcut to ‘Save As’ in Excel?
Below are the steps to use the Save As keyboard shortcut in Excel:
- Go to the Excel file for which you want to open the Save As dialog box
- Press the F12 key once. If your function key functionality is enabled, hold the Function key on your keyboard and then press the F12 key
- In the Save As dialog box that opens, enter the name of the file
- Select the location where you want to save the file
- Click on the Save button
Alternative to Keyboard Shortcut to Save As in Excel
You can also get the same thing done without a keyboard shortcut. The option to open the Save As dialog box is also available in the Excel ribbon.
Here are the steps to open Save As dialog box using the Ribbon:
- Click the File tab
- Click on the ‘Save As’ option
- Click on Browse
These steps would also open the Save As dialog box in Excel.
I hope this tutorial about how to use a keyboard shortcut to open the ‘Save As’ dialog box in Excel has been useful.
Other Excel shortcuts you may also like:
- Excel Keyboard Shortcuts
- Apply-Remove Filter In Excel
- Switch Between Tabs/Worksheets in Excel
- Zoom-In and Zoom-Out in Excel
- Delete Sheet in Excel
- Find and Replace in Excel (Keyboard Shortcut)
- Print Preview in Excel
Other articles you may also like: