In the newer versions of Excel, when you open a new workbook, there is only one worksheet by default (there used to be three sheets in earlier versions).
This means that most Excel users would often have a need to insert one or more new sheets in the workbook.
In this tutorial, I will give you the shortcut to add a new sheet in Excel
Shortcut to Add New Sheet in Excel
Below is the shortcut to Add New Sheet in Excel
Shift + F11 (recommended)
ALT + Shift + F1
How to Use the Keyboard Shortcut to Add New Sheet in Excel
Below are the steps to use the above keyboard shortcut:
- Activate the workbook in which you want to insert a new sheet
- Use the shortcut SHIFT + F11 (hold the SHIFT key and then press the F11 key)
Using the above shortcut once would insert one new sheet in your workbook.
If you want to insert more worksheets, you need to use this shortcut multiple times. So if you hold the SHIFT key and then press the F11 key twice, it is going to insert two new worksheets in your workbook.
Advance Excel Tip: Once you have inserted one worksheet using the shortcut SHIFT + F11, you can continue to add more sheets by using the F4 key (which simply repeats your last action)
Important Things to Know About Add New Sheet in Excel:
- The new sheet would always be added to the left of the active sheet (in the worksheet tabs order)
- The maximum number of sheets that can be inserted in Excel is data mined by your computer’s RAM. In general, it’s a good practice to remove any worksheets that you do not need and keep the worksheets to a minimum to improve the performance of your Excel file
Other Excel shortcuts you may also like:
- Excel Keyboard Shortcuts
- SAVE AS in Excel (Shortcut)
- Delete Sheet in Excel
- Insert Row in Excel
- Add Comments in Excel
- Insert Cell in Excel
- Insert Column in Excel
Other Excel Tutorials You May Also Like: